The role of the Chaplain for the whole school community:
The Chaplain in Coláiste & Gaelcholáiste Choilm as a faith presence accompanies each individual in the school community on his/her journey.
- The Book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible states: “There is a season for everything”. In the life of the young person there is a season for adolescence.
- As the school Chaplain it is part of my role to walk with students along this path of self discovery every step of the way.
- Chaplaincy in Coláiste & Gaelcholáiste Choilm centres around “being there” for all in the school community: staff, students and their families as a gentle presence & support. As Chaplain I am available to each student in the school journeying with and supporting them during their school year.
- The chaplain supports and maintains a caring, respectful and compassionate school atmosphere where every person feels accepted, trusted and valued.
- The Chaplain works closely with the Guidance Department and is part of a pastoral care team approach to supporting students in school. The Chaplain is available to students in times of bereavement, grief and coping with loss.
- The chaplain responds to referrals from year heads, class tutors and is a part of the Critical Incident Management Team. The Chaplain is central to organising retreats, pilgrimages and outreach activities during the course of the school year.
- The Chaplain is available to meet with parents, is a support in times of trauma and makes links with local parishes including local clergy.